Welcome to Windows Forum - Computer Support Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer keeps reading or running in background

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

musica215

musica215

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Whenever I start up my computer, something keeps running in the background. It isn't my virus checking the computer. I tried to figure out what it is and cannot. I can hear something reading my hard drive constantly. It seems to slow down my processor too, when this is happening. Any ideas?

-pops-

-pops-

WF Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • 18,035 posts
  • OS Architecture:64 Bit (x64)
Have you tried pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete all together? This will bring up the Task Manager. Click on Processes and you will see a list of all active processes on your machine and the proportion of the computer's power each is using.

It could also be the Windows Indexing Service. If the first suggestion doesn't come up with anything useful, post back and we can look further into it.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

catgate

catgate

Bonzai Soup Treader (part time)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,886 posts
How old is your hard drive? I once had one that did something a lot like you describe, shortly before it expired. I suggest you make a copy of it onto another drive of some sort, fairly quickly.
Posted Image

musica215

musica215

• Pip
  • 3 posts

How old is your hard drive? I once had one that did something a lot like you describe, shortly before it expired. I suggest you make a copy of it onto another drive of some sort, fairly quickly.

My computer is only a year old. It only happens when I first turn on the computer. After a while it stops. But I can't figure out what it may be doing when I first turn it on.

musica215

musica215

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you tried pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete all together? This will bring up the Task Manager. Click on Processes and you will see a list of all active processes on your machine and the proportion of the computer's power each is using.

It could also be the Windows Indexing Service. If the first suggestion doesn't come up with anything useful, post back and we can look further into it.

Where can I read up on Window Indexing Service? Can you make a suggestion?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Scarecrow Man

Scarecrow Man

Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,460 posts
http://www.theelderg...ing_service.htm

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ドラえもん

• Forum Moderator
  • 10,526 posts

It only happens when I first turn on the computer. After a while it stops. But I can't figure out what it may be doing when I first turn it on.

How long is that - a few minutes? Windows initialization completion, plus user app startup initialization can take a few minutes after your desktop becomes visible. I usually advise not to do anything on the computer until all these initializations are complete.

Posted Image Posted Image

Doraemon - the robot cat from the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users