Welcome to Windows Forum - Computer Support Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BIOS Sees Wrong Partition Size

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

eniwetok

eniwetok

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings all. In my first attempt to use SpinRite... a multipurpose hard drive maintenance/recovery tool, I decided to try it on an old PC with a borrowed, once thought dead, 160gig drive that reinstalled XP on. I later installed SP2. The partition reads as 149gigs.

When SpinRite booted up I got this message:

Invalid Partition for Drive Size

The partition exceeds the size of this drive as defined by the systemís BIOS or BIOS extension. You should NOT PROCEED to use SpinRite on this drive until you have verified and corrected the disparity between this drive and the BIOSís or BIOSís extensionís understanding of the driveís size.

I went into drive management and found no settings nor did I find anything in BIOS that helped. Any ideas how to correct this disparity?

Thanks!!!

catgate

catgate

Bonzai Soup Treader (part time)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,886 posts
What OS had the "old PC" on it before you hooked up the 160 G HD?
Posted Image

eniwetok

eniwetok

• Pip
  • 4 posts

What OS had the "old PC" on it before you hooked up the 160 G HD?

Hi catgate, thanks for responding. It was an XP machine which is why I was probably able to use my XP upgrade disk to reinstall XP.

I should be more clear. The old PC was mine but I installed my friend's drive in it in an attempt to salvage his files since his PC had more problems than just not booting up. As I remember his cat pissed in it... and that is no joke or play off your name. A year ago when I was working on it I left the side cover off waiting for his son to find another drive bracket. He never bothered... so the side was off for months.

My old machine always a 60gig drive. I tried to clone it to a 320 but it never took so the 60gig remained the C drive.

So would the BIOS be updated when I installed the new drive?

catgate

catgate

Bonzai Soup Treader (part time)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,886 posts
Speaking from the bottom of a pit of ignorance as far as Xp is concerned, I would imagine that you have run up against a "Product Key" issue. One of Mr Gates' wealth protection barriers.
In my humble opinion you are probably going to have more success plaiting fog than you are with your current aim......but then anothe WF member may well come along with some form of rocket science. :uhm:
Posted Image

eniwetok

eniwetok

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Speaking from the bottom of a pit of ignorance as far as Xp is concerned, I would imagine that you have run up against a "Product Key" issue. One of Mr Gates' wealth protection barriers.

Thanks again for responding. I installed XP way back in January and did hit the 30 day deadline to register. Since the old PC isn't online I did so by phone and the response code worked. So as far as I can tell it's not XP registration issue and since there are no web updates the PC can't have WGA either.

When I check in BIOS it gives me the size of the drive as 131.071 gigs instead of 149 gigs (or 160 unformatted). I do seem to recall that early on XP could not recognize drives bigger than around 130gigs but that was taken care of in SP1 or SP2, which I'm now running. And since I never had a C drive bigger than 60gigs I never had to deal with it. The 320 gig drive I hoped to use as my C drive became a mere back up and it worked fine.

There is an option in BIOS to detect drives but when I do so it just again reads the C drive as 131gigs.

So does this possibly mean that even though I'm running SP2 that the BIOS was never updated? It's an old 2001 machine and I know I never did it...

Edited by eniwetok, 17 June 2009 - 13:16.

eniwetok

eniwetok

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks all... I found an easier way to try out SpinRite than try to update my BIOS for my friend's 160gig drive. I'll just try it on my original dead 60gig which still worked enough for me to run some recovery programs on it. It will be interesting to see if SpinRite can "heal" what ever part of Windows died. LOL

Edited by eniwetok, 17 June 2009 - 20:56.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users