Welcome to Windows Forum - Computer Support Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Message that says "Script still Running"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

johnoo

johnoo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 435 posts
When I go into a certain website, it happens to be that of a reputable newspaper, I got a message saying "Script still running if you do not clear your computer may slow down" or words to that effect.
I answered Yes I want the script to stop running, but on going into the web site again the same message occured.

I have run AVG and Malware scans and no problems reported.
Also when I last went into the web site I did not get the message.
But I would like to know what caused it, any ideas in simple language?

-pops-

-pops-

WF Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • 20,190 posts
  • OS Architecture:64 Bit (x64)
If it's only one website that does this, it suggests the site is at fault.

Don't retain the idea that because a newspaper claims to be reputable that they know everything about how to design a web page.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

johnoo

johnoo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 435 posts
Thanks, but it has never happened before on this site, it would be nice just to know why!

MANEMAN

MANEMAN

Former Nano Technologist & Non-Resident eedjut

• PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
Try different browsers to see if fault still occurs.

Web designers tend not to favour Internet Explorer too much these days. (IE6 hardly at all)

If that is what you are using it could be the problem. There may have been a change to the website that was not fully tried out on all available browsers.

A different browser can sometimes show the problem up.

John.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

It is better sometimes to point a man towards the pathway to a goal rather than the goal itself.
The pathway is where he will learn, - and remember.

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ドラえもん

• Forum Moderator
  • 10,609 posts
What browser are you using?

What is the website URL that issues that message?

What is the exact message you are getting?

Posted Image Posted Image

Doraemon - the robot cat from the future.

johnoo

johnoo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

What browser are you using?

What is the website URL that issues that message?

What is the exact message you are getting?

I am using IE8
The web site is :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Can't remember the exact message, but it's appoximatly as my words in first post.

Since yesterday I have not got the message again, so could it have been a random error on the web site?

-pops-

-pops-

WF Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • 20,190 posts
I've not seen that specific message you were getting but script errors are invariably the fault of the originator of the web page and not a fault of your computer.

To avoid seeing script error notifications in the future:

In IE click on Tools (the gear wheel top right or Alt + x).

Click on Advanced. Under Settings, Browsing check that "Disable script debugging" is ticked (for IE and any other browsers you have) and check that "Display a notification about every script error" is UNticked.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

johnoo

johnoo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

I've not seen that specific message you were getting but script errors are invariably the fault of the originator of the web page and not a fault of your computer.

To avoid seeing script error notifications in the future:

In IE click on Tools (the gear wheel top right or Alt + x).

Click on Advanced. Under Settings, Browsing check that "Disable script debugging" is ticked (for IE and any other browsers you have) and check that "Display a notification about every script error" is UNticked.

Pops,
Thanks for the help.
I should have said that I use IE8 provided by Yahoo, but I have gone into the Tools Menu and under Advanced the Browser settings were as you suggested.
So i think we can't do anymore!

Boris

Boris

Iconoclast

• Forum Moderator
  • 7,852 posts
I get that same error from the The Telegraph - but only occasionally

Attached Files

Rig 1: Antec NSK6580 / Earthwatts EA-430D - Foxconn M61PMV - AMD Athlon II X4 620 - 4Gb Patriot Extreme PDC24G6400ELK PC6400 -
ECS NVidia N9600GT-512MX-P - 320Gb Samsung HD322HJ F1 - 500Gb Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 - Pioneer DVR-S18LBK - Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Rig:2 Lian Li PC-7 / Spire SP-ATX-650WTN-PFC Jewel 650W - Asus P5B - Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 - 2Gb Aeneon AET760UD00 PC6400 -
GEForce 7600GT - 160Gb Samsung HD161HJ - 250Gb Samsung SpinPoint SP2504C - NEC ND-3540A - Sony CRX230EE - Vista Ultimate 32bit

Rig 3: Advantage Micro ATX / Coolermaster GX 450W 80PLUS - Foxconn G31MX-K - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5800 - 2GB Melco PC6400 -
Sweex HD4650 - 320Gb Samsung HD322HJ F1 - Samsung SH S223B - Vista Home Basic 32bit

Rig 4: Antec SLK3000B / Coolermaster 460W eXtreme Power Plus - Asus M2N68-AM Plus - AMD 64 X2 7850 BE - 2Gb Patriot Signature PSD22G8002 PC6400 -
Asus HD4670 - 250Gb Excelstor Jupiter J9250S - 500Gb Western Digital WD5000AAKS - LG GH22NS50 - XP Home SP3
Rig 5: Antler Mercedes PC 179 / Hiper 530W - MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 - 2Gb Crucial CT12864Z40B PC3200 -
GeForce 7600GT - 80Gb Western Digital WD800AAJS - 500Gb Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS - Pioneer DVR-111 - HP 1040i - XP Home SP3

Posted Image
Posted Image
"Universally challenged ! " Posted Image

johnoo

johnoo

Novice

• PipPip
  • 435 posts
That's exactly what I got, assume it is thier problem and is of no concern?

-pops-

-pops-

WF Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • 20,190 posts
It is their problem. I've checked with my son who is professionally involved with all things graphic and he says it is sloppy script writing possibly by some "clever clogs" trying to use HTML from scratch and doesn't really know what he/she is doing.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

ドラえもん

• Forum Moderator
  • 10,609 posts
I can understand why News and many other sites are dynamically created by scripts, rather than old-fashioned, hard-coded HTML. You cannot expect the editors to write their stuff in HTML every day; all the text, pictures and videos are entered via some sort of editor, then the JavaScripts take over and arrange the web pages dynamically.

However, when the scripting becomes too heavy - that is when you see messages like this popping up.

Posted Image Posted Image

Doraemon - the robot cat from the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users